If you’re looking for an easy salad as a side dish or even an entrée that’s super tasty and healthy, then give this beet and arugula salad a try! We’ve always got this one going in our house. It’s a crowd pleaser.
Why eat this?
- Beets are rich in vitamin C, which helps boost your immune system. These deep red root veggies are also excellent sources of fiber and can improve your digestion.
- Arugula brings on the vitamins! A, K, C and B9. Vitamins are necessary for our bodies’ growth and function; we cannot make them within our bodies, so it’s important we obtain them through food. We are what we eat!
- Balsamic vinegar is tasty and has antioxidants. It’s also a low-calorie pick compared to other salad dressings. A little bit goes a long way, too.
- 3 medium fresh beets peeled and chopped into ½ inch cubes
- 12 oz. arugula
- 2 medium shallots sliced thinly
- 1 avocado sliced for garnish
- cherry tomatoes sliced in 1/2
- goat cheese
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar and olive oil to taste
- In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp. of EVOO, shallots and beets. Sauté over medium to high heat until
tender, about 15 minutes. Place in metal mixing bowl and cool in freezer for 10 minutes.
- In a large separate bowl, toss together the arugula, cherry tomatoes and goat cheese.
- Combine all ingredients. Serve with 2 or 3 slices of avocado as a garnish and dress with vinegar and oil to taste.
- Optional: add chopped walnuts
- Suggested protein paring: grilled salmon
- Sautéing makes preparation quicker than roasting but the beets will be a little crunchy (yum).